Tuesday, August 2, 2011

We don't need no noise pollution.

THEY...whomever they may be are drilling a gas well just a few hundred feet from my home. THEY started last Wednesday and a week later the incessant hum of the diesel engines and the grinding sounds of the drill are still keeping me awake at night. Yes, I said at night because this is a 24/7 operation. From what I have read, although it seems to me like THEY are drilling the infamous hole to China...THEY usually drill about 9,000 feet into the earth. To provide some perspective that is about the depth of the Grand Canyon. The goal is to reach the shale line and remove the natural gas (methane). In order to extract the fuel from the rock THEY force water laced with chemicals into the hole to break up the shale. This procedure, called fracking releases the gas. 

The noise pollution and air pollution (diesel fumes) are obvious issues but it seems that there is still some debate over the water pollution issue. Really? Last time I checked my water wasn't flammable....I hope it stays that way. 

In elementary school we learned about the layers of the earth. Some are solid, some are gas and some are liquid. I'm thinking those layers exist for a reason and serve a purpose. If we are siphoning gas from the earth are we removing a vital layer? Is it possible that we are causing an environmental imbalance beneath the earth's surface? Is this what is causing the rise in earthquakes? Does anyone really know? 


Some say the drilling enables jobs, progress and sustainability. I believe it does but I can't help feeling like we are raping the earth. Is this the best way to solve our energy problems? How will this affect the earth and our environment over the next 50 years and finally, how can I silence the sinister voice in my head that keeps whispering GREED over and over again.

No comments: